Tuesday 16 April 2013

Raqib Shaw.



















'Raqib Shaw is an Indian-born, London-based artist who shot to fame in the international art world at the age of just 33. His opulent paintings and sculptures evoke the work of Old Masters such as Holbein and Bosch in their treatment of often unsettling subjects. But they also reflect the ornate style of Persian miniatures and Kashmiri and Japanese textiles. Beneath their beautiful jewel-like surface is a collection of dark and violent images inspired by ancient myths and religious tales from both East and Western tradition.'

My friend from home was up in Manchester this weekend, she does Illustration in Bournemouth so we decided to visit Manchester Art Gallery for the Raqib Shaw exhibition. I was pleasantly surprised by Shaw's work, the illustrations of the animals are extremely detailed , Shaw uses a range of drawing techniques such as simple pencil and 3D enamel and acrylic painting. Shaw also uses  glitter and Rhinestones to add to the royal feel of the compositions.  I also liked the way the compositions were displayed, the simplicity of it works well, I think I will try and incorporate this in my own work. His works are very busy which is how I like to work with lots of colour. One of his works also had a similar colour palette to my items, so I think I will look closer at the way he arranges the colours.  Shaw also created an instillation something which I am hoping to do in my project. His collection of works which came from the same starting point are displayed in the same space in a particular way, they are all different but work together due to the starting point. This is what Im hoping our group can do with Unit X.








No comments:

Post a Comment