Sunday 23 February 2014

Locating Evaluation

The aim for this self directed brief was to create a series of digital prints both on fabric and paper, and for these prints to be translated onto a range of high quality and high end designer T-shirts. From this project I feel my technical knowledge has been developed, working in both photoshop and illustrator I feel my work is a lot more technically accurate but also more professionally presented. 
It took me a while to get into the project and getting my colour palette right was a challenge, but after a lot of trial and error I finally had a colour palette that worked well with my motifs to create a range of interesting prints. This was my first project where I included flats to visualise my work, I found this challenging due to not having any previous experience of placing  prints onto flats. I am usually used to illustrating garments on figures and styling them to create looks rather than only using one technical drawing. This daunted me as I felt the placement had to be perfect to show off the print.
I researched into fashion designers working in the same way as me but also designers and brands like Topshop that had previously achieved what I was trying to achieve now. 
A main inspiration to me during this project was fashion designer Vanesa Krongold, her work helped me resolve the problem I was having with my flats. I introduced colour blocking into my work after looking at some of her collections.
I attended the photoshop and illustrator workshops throughout this project, the illustrator workshops were very helpful, I feel I have become a lot more confident on this software, a strategy which has enabled my work to develop further.
I originally stated that I was going to go into the print room and create some hand prints using techniques such as foiling, but after going into the print room, I decided against this. I feel that my work was being held back by limitations in the print room. My digital prints were very detailed and  full of information, I was finding it hard to translate this in the print room using screen printing.  
In this project I was looking at the concept of religion, looking at three features within it; religious figures, architectural features and typography. Transferring these into 2D images using drawing and photography. I then looked at working  on top of these images using the idea of defacing. I looked at the trend of defacing but also graphic montages and so I combined all of these to create a series of prints to be placed onto graphic Tshirts. 
The prints work well when the have been placed onto the flats and illustrations rather than on their own. Throughout the project I was drawing and creating prints for design, and so when these prints were visualized onto garments, that was when I felt they worked best as a collection.
If I had to change anything I would concentrate on the colour palette a bit more, concentrating on getting the colour balance exactly right. Rather than letting one or two colours become dominant. 

For my next project I want to concentrate more on styling and trends, these are two factors that are always prominent in my work. I enjoy researching and gathering primary research to feed into my new theme and concept, and so creating my own trend book or look book would be a great way to take this further. 
I feel this project further established that the context of my work is for fashion, I enjoyed setting my own brief but I feel that I would thrive most working for a fashion company where I work to set briefs, showing what I can come up with in a limited time and designing for a certain audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment